The Columbus State Road 46/State Road 11 overpass is officially open!
Officials from the City of Columbus, Bartholomew County, INDOT, Louisville & Indiana Railroad, Cummins Inc. and Milestone Contractors gathered with citizens on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 to officially cut the ribbon and open the overpass.
Speakers at the event included City of Columbus Mayor Jim Lienhoop, John Goldman, President of Louisville & Indiana Railroad, Mark Thompson, Vice President for Milestone Contractors, Tom Sattherwaite, Cummins President and Chief Operating Officer, and INDOT Commissioner Tony McClellan.
Some numbers and interesting facts that were shared by Mark Thompson with Milestone Contractors:
- Earthwork – 50,000 truckloads
- Aggregate – 100,000 tons
- Asphalt – 45,000 tons
- Concrete – 2,000 cubic yards
- Workers – approximately 100 workers per day onsite
- 49 new energy efficient LED street lights have been installed
- 2,500 trees and shrubs to be planted in 2021
- 23 feet – the height of the overpass when it clears the railroad tracks
Finishing touches and landscaping will be underway over the next few weeks.
Thank you to the citizens of Columbus and Bartholomew County for your support of this project.